There are two types of financial aid: Gift Aid and Self-Help Aid. The first type of aid is the best kind of aid where you do not need to repay. Gift Aid is awarded in the form of grants or scholarships. The second type of aid is called Self-Help Aid because you either earn your financial aid during school by working or you repay your student loan after you graduate.

The college receives funding from many resources: federal and state governments, private donors, the military, agencies, and community foundations or organizations. You may apply for as many scholarships as you can to lower your self-help aid during the school year. You must report any outside assistance that you receive for education to the Financial Aid Office to prevent an overaward situation.

When a family or individual begins to apply for financial aid, there are many questions that are asked. To help you find answers to frequently asked questions the U.S. Department of Education the following on-line guide was created:

Student Guide
Funding Your Education Beyond High School
The Guide to Federal Student Aid 2007-08

The Financial Aid Office uses a lot of acronyms to describe the different programs. It is highly recommended that you enroll in a minimum of six credits to qualify for most financial aid programs. Below is a list and brief descriptions of programs the college participates in:



Federal Pell Grant

Grants for financially needy undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a first professional degree. 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Grants for undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. (Federal Pell Grant recipients with lowest EFCs) 

Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant

Grants to undergraduate U.S. Citizens who graduated from high school after Jan 2005, 3.0 grade point average, Federal Pell Grant recipient, and enrolled full-time in a degree program.

Federal Work Study Program

Self-help program on and off campus employment to eligible undergraduate and graduate students.  

Federal Perkins Loan
(no longer available)

Low-interest rate loans for financially needy undergraduate and graduate/professional students. 

Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan

Lenders use their own funds to make low-interest loans to help financially needy students. "Subsidized" by government payment of interest. Print a loan request form  

Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

Enables students who don't qualify for interest subsidies to obtain Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans; terms/conditions are usually the same as Federal Stafford. 

Federal PLUS Loan

Loans to parents for college expenses of their dependent children. 

Hawaii Student Incentive Grant
AKA Leveragng Educational Assistance Program (LEAP)

Tuition grants funded by both federal and state to financially needy undergraduate students attending at least half-time. Must be a Hawaii resident. 

State Higher Education Loan

Low-interest rate loans for financially needy undergraduate and graduate/professional students who are bonafide Hawaii residents. 

State Tuition Opportunity Grants and Achievement Scholarships

Tuition grants and scholarships to resident or non-resident undergraduate and graduate/professional students who demonstrate financial need, merit, or service. 

State Centennial Scholarship

Tuition scholarships available to resident Hawaii high school graduates after May 2007, 3.8 grade point average, 1800 on SAT, or 27 composite score on ACT

State B-Plus Scholarship

Scholarships to resident Hawaii high school graduates including charter schools, after June 2006, 3.0 grade point average or higher, and qualified for free or reduced lunch program.


The institution administers several scholarships which require separate application materials.

Financial Aid Office

One Stop Center, Room 104

3-1901 Kaumuali`i Highway

Lihu`e, HI  96766-9500


Phone:  (808) 245-8256

Fax:      (808) 245-8297