Nursing Program Outcomes
Competencies, Student Learning Outcomes (New Curriculum starting 2010)
1. A competent nurse's professional actions are based on core nursing values,
professional standards of practice, and the law. (ILSO Personal Responsibility)
2. A competent nurse develops insight through reflective practice, self-analysis, and self-
care. (ILSO Personal Responsibility)
3. A competent nurse engages in ongoing self-directed learning and provides care based
on evidence supported by research. (ILSOs Cognition, Information Competency,
Social & Personal Responsibility)
4. A competent nurse demonstrates leadership in nursing and health care. (ILSO Social
5. A competent nurse collaborates as part of a health care team. (ILSOs Communication,
6. A competent nurse practices within, utilizes, and contributes to the broader health care
system (including the Global Community). (ILSO Social Responsibility)
7. A competent nurse practices client-centered care. (ILSOs Communication, Cognition,
Information Competency, Social Responsibility)
8. A competent nurse communicates and uses communication technology effectively.
9. A competent nurse demonstrates clinical judgment / critical thinking in the delivery of
care of clients while maintaining safety. (ILSO Cognition)
The overall program outcomes include graduating a multi-cultural student group that has demonstrated accomplishment of the stated program objectives, is capable of completing the NCLEX-RN with a passing score, and is able to assume employment as an RN in areas of nursing found in our community.
Desired program outcomes are:
1. The graduating class will reflect the multicultural mix of Kaua`i.
2. Eighty-five percent (85%) of graduating students will pass the NCLEX-RN on the first try.
3. Seventy-five percent (75%) of the graduates desiring employment as an RN will be
employed as an RN in the state of Hawai`i in various health care settings within one year
4. The graduating class will be comprised of generic students and at least 10% returning
5. Eighty percent (80%) of students enrolled in NURS 210 within 15 days of the beginning of
the semester will complete the Certificate of Achievement as a Practical Nurse within 2
6. Sixty percent (60%) of students enrolled in Nursing 210 within 15 days of the beginning of
the semester will complete the Associate Degree within 5 academic years.
Academic Calendar for Kauai Community College
Several recommended websites to help on the island of Kauai.
Occupational Outlook Handbook