What is virtual tutoring?
Elluminate is a free tool that allows users to meet with other people online (up to 3 users at one time). Our tutors use Elluminate's V-Rooms to meet with students for one-to-one tutoring appointments. If a student chooses to schedule an appointment to meet with a tutor in the tutor's Elluminate V-Room, the student will receive tutoring similar to the way they would receive tutoring in a face-to-face setting. The tutor meets with the student LIVE and can share the student's assignment instructions and completed assignment through a "sharing" feature in the V-room.
What do I need for a virtual tutoring session?
Of course, you will need a computer with internet access. You will also need a headset and microphone to be able to speak and listen to the tutor. You will need to make arrangements ahead of time so that your tutor has the assignment you're working on - either a digital copy or a hardcopy that you both are using. NOTE: Virtual tutoring is available by appointment only - see below for instructions on how to schedule an appointment.
How do I access Elluminate?
To begin a previously scheduled tutoring session, do the following:
1. Log in here. (It is recommended that you log in a few minutes before your time to allow the program to prepare your computer.)
2. Enter your First and Last name and click "Login."
3. Click "ok" to open the file that starts the session. (This will take from 1 to 5 minutes depending on your computer speed.)
4. Select "Run" when prompted to run the application.
5. Agree to the Session Participant Agreement.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to run the Audio Check.
How do I schedule an online tutoring appointment?
Appointments are scheduled through mutual arrangement with your tutor. Please see your tutor for more information. Or contact the Learning Center at 245-8341 to inquire about available tutors and times.
Return to Learning Center Table of Contents Page